Things definitely to come in the redesign:
- Less junk on the page. Somehow.
- Less crufty CSS.
- More elegant typography.
- More elegant design, period.
- New site logo and masthead.
- New navigational resources, including a greatest hits.
Things I’m thinking about:
- Dumping the news item department graphics, in favor of text links. On the plus side, they brighten up the page a bit; on the minus side, they’re not exactly coherent, design wise, and they’re probably a good deal less understandable (unless you’re in the habit of mousing over graphics) than a simple link to the department archives page would be.
- The blogroll. Well, not dumping it, exactly, but maybe getting smarter about how I show it, along the lines of Greg’s MORE link. It will definitely disappear from sublevel pages.
- The badges, unless required by some sort of reciprocal agreement.
Here are some of the extremely helpful resources I’ve been consulting:
- Zeldman’s CSS smorgasbord II, an enormously useful rollup of links about designing with CSS; which has in turn led me to…
- Layout-o-matic, and its kindred spirit tool List-o-matic.
- And, of course, the CSS reference, handily available (if you aren’t on a wireless LAN) in PDF form.