Solving ASP.NET application problems

I have been working with a partner of ours to get an ASP.NET web application running on my Windows 2000 computer at the office. We had no joy for several hours last night trying to figure out why none of the .aspx pages in the application could be contacted. We were getting an interesting error message:

Server Error in '/BogusAppname' Application.

The resource cannot be found.
Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested Url: /BogusAppname/login.aspx

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

I had to give up with the guy from our partner company at 8 PM my time last night. This morning, I did some Googling and found an all-too-simple-sounding solution: the application wasn’t correctly registered as a virtual directory. I went to the IIS manager, created a new virtual directory with the same name as the directory I was trying to hit, and lo and behold the application started working.

The difference was only apparent in the properties dialog on the application directory. The virtual directories on the server had “Virtual Directory” as the first tab on the properties dialog, but our application directory had “Directory”.

Perhaps this will save someone’s thinning hair.