My organization operates hundreds of servers in several data centers and a network that connects over 250 separate locations. One of the problems we have is status communication to various interested parties. Tonight I decided we should have a system status blog that uses categories with separate RSS feeds for various severity levels and systems. For the low price of $40/year we could have:
- One easy spot to post status announcements, which would be ordered in exactly the right way.
- A web-based record of status.
- Multiple RSS feeds of the various systems and severity levels.
- Easy integration into the personalization feature of our intranet; RSS feeds would show up as gadget boxes for people who want them.
- The ability to easily subscribe to RSS feeds and digest them in various ways for people with special needs.
How could you not like that?