As I grow … well, older isn’t right, and neither is more mature, so let’s just go with “as I grow,” I find that what I listen to is less about lyrics and singing along and more about just listening. So, of the 19 tracks on this mix, six have no words at all, and a few more are mostly nonsense.
No real notes here, except to note that Jonny Greenwood’s Bodysong, from 2003, is an unlikely sleeper album. There are bits that remind me of Ravel, and Berg, and glitchy techno, and sometimes they come in the same song.
Also: why did it take me so long to listen to Bruce Cockburn? He would have been right up my alley in 1988 or 1989.
Also also: I’m in the crowd for that 2004 Sonic Youth performance at the Showbox. This one.
- Burning Of Auchidoon – Maddy Prior (Silly Sisters)
- Tree (Today is an Important Occasion) – David Byrne (The Knee Plays)
- Ready to Start – Arcade Fire (Ready to Start – Single)
- Lovers In a Dangerous Time – Bruce Cockburn (Stealing Fire (Deluxe Edition))
- Wiggle-Waggle – Herbie Hancock (Warner Archives)
- Everything In Its Right Place – Radiohead (Kid A)
- 24 Hour Charleston – Jonny Greenwood (Bodysong (Soundtrack from the Motion Picture))
- Concorde – Modern Jazz Quartet (Concorde)
- Track 4 – Sigur Rós (( ))
- Chemtrails – Beck (Modern Guilt)
- Sorrow – The National (High Violet)
- I Should Watch TV (M. Stine remix) – David Byrne & St. Vincent (Brass Tactics EP)
- Pattern Recognition – Sonic Youth (Live at the Showbox in Seattle (2004))
- Milky Way – Weather Report (Weather Report)
- Alone And Forsaken – Neko Case (Live from Austin, Texas)
- Hi-Speed Soul – Nada Surf (Let Go)
- After All – Christian Scott (Yesterday You Said Tomorrow)
- Bode Radio/Glass Light/Broken Hearts – Jonny Greenwood (Bodysong (Soundtrack from the Motion Picture))
- I Wanna Dance With Somebody – David Byrne (David Byrne: Live from Austin, TX)