When you’re as rusty on the blog as I am, you don’t say no to a meme when it drops into your lap. Thanks to Eileen Huang, fellow TFCer and collaborative pianist, for the tag.
- First instrument: piano. Thanks, Mom, for the instruction.
- Age at first music lesson: Five, I think.
- First piece performed in public: I can’t remember any of the piano ones, so we’ll go with my solo vocal debut, a retrospectively cringe-inducing version of Sting’s “Sister Moon” with saxophone accompaniment at the Virginia Governor’s School for the Sciences talent show in 1989.
- Piece most recently performed in public: A slightly odd John Jacob Niles arrangement of “Wayfaring Stranger.”
- Band camp: Nope. Not even orchestra camp.
- Marching band: With a violin?
- College a cappella? Undergrad, no; not for lack of trying. Grad school: yes, though we weren’t very good, not for lack of trying.
- Absolute pitch: no.
- Movable do or fixed do: Fixed, I suppose, though I never gave it much thought.
- Faux pas: At the same Governor’s School talent show, forgot all the words to Weird Al’s “One More Minute.” My collaborator slapped me to try to restore my memory. It only ensured that I could never remember the words ever again.
- Favorite conductor hair: Jimmy Levine, of course.
- I wish I could play: any instrument these days. Happy I can still sing.
Anyone want a tag to continue the meme?