Why, you may rightly ask, would I want to do that to myself? Well, Vista is the first Microsoft OS in seven years that I haven’t used as my primary OS while it was in prerelease status, so I’m feeling a little behind the curve. But also it just feels like time. I’ve been using XP since 2001 in prerelease form (starting during my summer internship), and all the novelty of the new issues in XP has worn off. I’m tired of:
- Long delays in the UI when booting and waiting for services to start
- Long delays in the UI when switching from one network to another or into disconnected status
- Bad power management during sleep (see yesterday’s post)
- Weird screen switching behavior
- Needing to reboot all the time
- Three or more keystrokes to create a folder
Will any of this change in Vista? At this point, I have no idea, and that’s what I’m looking forward to exploring.