Musical discovery of the week: Sufjan Stevens’ delicate masterpiece Greetings From Michigan: The Great Lakes State takes on additional resonance as you’re driving through the industrial outskirts of Lansing. But it still doesn’t cleanse the chorus of “Snakes on a Plane (Bring It)” from your brain.
We are in town for a morning sales call and will be back on a plane, hopefully without snakes, this afternoon. I don’t think I’ll be seeing Snakes on a Plane tonight, but maybe this weekend—I’ll be in Lancaster County for the family reunion and might have an opportunity then.
- Peter Gabriel, “Powerhouse at the Foot of the Mountain” (Birdy)
- New Order, “Blue Monday” (International: The Best of New Order)
- Erasure, “Too Darn Hot” (Red Hot + Blue: A Tribute to Cole Porter)
- Ted Leo/Pharmacists, “Heart Problems” (Shake the Sheets)
- Sleater-Kinney, “The Fox” (The Woods)
- Doves, “Caught by the River” (The Last Broadcast)
- Prince, “On the Couch” (Musicology)
- Neko Case, “Ghost Wiring” (Blacklisted)
- Inca Campers, “Vilcabamba” (Outside)
- R.E.M., “At My Most Beautiful” (Up)