Forgot to point to this one. The first Google result for
"west lawn" site:virginia.edu leads into a fascinating set of photos by Joel Winstead around University of Virginia and William and Mary landmarks. The cool bit is the Myst-style navigation (e.g. click on the left side of the photo to turn left, click on the bottom to go back, etc.).
My only gripe is that the author stopped with just two buildings at Virginia. I’d love to see the following:
- Going all the way down the lawn, with the ability to look at (or into) each Lawn room
- Inside Cabell Hall, all the way down into B-012 (the historical rehearsal space of the Virginia Glee Club) and up onto the stage
- Inside Clark Hall, and up onto the roof and inside the old skylight(if they haven’t closed all the paths one could take to get there
- Through the Monroe Hill tunnels
- Into the basement labs in the Physics building
- Plus the ability to “walk” (virtually) from one building to another
Of course, all this work suggests that the project should really be distributed. Hope to see it continue.